You will be met by 1000 Hills Safaris’ driver/guide at you’ Hotel in Kigali – meet and greet, He will shortly brief you about the program of the safari then Drive you to Volcano National Park where we will do our gorilla trekking, Overnight at Virunga Hotel.
9 Days & 8 Nights Rwandan Primate & Wildlife Safari
This comprehensive package includes Rwanda’s 3 major National Parks, Akagera, Nyungwe Forest and Volcanoes, as well as time in the vibrant capital of Kigali.
After a night in Kigali, you will start your journey in Akagera National Park, a particularly scenic park located on a lake with views of Tanzania on the opposite shore. The Park’s contour and diversity of wildlife make it a wonderful first stop. Akagera National Park is Rwanda’s only Big Five destination, which means that it hosts populations of lion, leopard, elephant, black rhino and buffalo. Easily explored by boat, the lakes of Akagera also host plenty of hippos and crocs, and a wide variety of waterbirds including the iconic Shoebill.
Another night in Kigali gives travelers the opportunity to visit the inspirational and moving Genocide Memorial, and visit a market or two. Then you’re off to Nyungwe National Park, home to cheeky chimps and handsome colobus monkeys. A lunch stop at the Kings Palace breaks up the scenic journey. Permits for primate treks are optional. A breathtaking canopy walk is included and offers not only stunning views but also the possibility of seeing some of the 13 species of monkeys who dwell in the forest. Birders will delight in Nyungwe.
Finally, the opportunity to do a gorilla trek (permit extra) in misty Volcanoes National Park. This is a once-in-a-lifetime experience; your time with these gentle giants is intense and satisfying. Cultural visits are another highlight of your visit.
- Comprehensive itinerary visiting Rwanda’s top 3 National Parks
- Opportunity for gorilla, chimp and colobus monkey treks (permits extra)
- Visit to Kings Palace
- Leisure time in Kigali and Volcanoes for shopping and independent touring
- Airport transfers
- 4WD vehicle
- Bilingual expert game ranger-driver
- 2 nights accommodation in Kigali, choice of First-class, Deluxe or Luxury accommodation
- 2 nights accommodation inAkagera National Park, choice of First-class, Deluxe or Luxury accommodation
- 2 nights accommodation in Nyungwe Forest National Park, choice of First-class, Deluxe or Luxury accommodation
- 2 nights accommodation in Volcanoes National Park, choice of First-class, Deluxe or Luxury accommodation
- All meals from breakfast on Day 2 to lunch on Day 9
- Game drives
- Boat ride in Akagera National Park
- Visit to Kings Palace enroute Nyungwe
- Canopy Walk in Nyungwe
- Optional chimp, colobus monkey and gorilla treks (permits not included)
Based on departures in Low Season*
|Price per person in private vehicle||First-class||Deluxe||Luxury|
|Each of 2||5149||6049||11649|
|Each of 3||4469||5369||11049|
|Each of 4||4129||5019||10749|
|Each of 5||3919||4819||10569|
|Each of 6||3789||4679||10459|
|Single room supplement||1299||1899||4559|
Based on departures in High Season*
|Price per person in private vehicle||First-class||Deluxe||Luxury|
|Each of 2||5149||7699||14429|
|Each of 3||4469||7029||13829|
|Each of 4||4129||6689||13529|
|Each of 5||3919||6479||13349|
|Each of 6||3789||6349||13229|
|Single room supplement||1299||1699||6119|
First-class – same year round
Deluxe – Low season is 1 April – 31 May // Shoulder Season is 1 January – 31 March & 1 November – 14 December // High season is 1 June – 31 October & 15 – 31 December
Luxury – Low season is 1 – 31 May & 1 November – 14 December // Shoulder Season is 16 January – 31 May & 16 October – 14 December // High Season is 1 June – 15 October & 15 – 31 December
Minimum 2, solo travelers pay surcharge
Departs daily, year round
From $5149 per person based on double occupancy*
*Prices are quoted in USD and are ‘from’, per person, based on twin share occupancy. Seasonal Surcharges apply. Single supplements apply. Black-out dates may apply. All pricing is strictly subject to availability. All prices, itineraries and routing are subject to change without notice. Please call for our current prices. Prices are current at time of posting (2/10/22) and may differ when you book your travel and are not guaranteed until full payment is received and processed. CA CST: 2076233-40 | WA ID: 601 684 531 | PC-1282498.
Note: The trekking may be fairly strenuous – up to six hours or longer is not uncommon – at relatively high altitudes. Mountain Gorillas are wild animals and, as such, sightings cannot be guaranteed. The success rate however is well over 99%. Cost of gorilla, chimp and colobus monkey trekking permits extra.
Terms and Conditions
Read our full Terms and Conditions here
- You’ll be collected from the airport.
- Accommodation before the tour starts can be arranged for an extra cost.
Day 1: Arrive Kigali
Welcome to the Land of the Thousand Hills! Arrival at Kigali Airport where you will be welcomed and transferred to your hotel. Rest of day at leisure.
Day 2: Akagera Volcanoes National Park
- Drive 2 hours east to Akagera National Park. Along the way, you will see a lot of bird species, banana plantations and markets. Akagera National Park is dotted with swamps and lakes fed by the meandering course of the Akagera River. On arrival in the Park, take an afternoon game drive. Check into your accommodation in time for sunset drinks and dinner. (B,L,D)
Day 3: Akagera National Park
Day 4: Kigali
- Depart Akagera for Kigali, where you will have time at leisure to explore this vibrant capital city. Spend time shopping at the markets or visiting the sobering but inspirational Genocide memorial. (B,L,D)
Day 5: Nyungwe National Park
- Depart on a scenic drive to Nyungwe Forest National Park via Butare, the second largest city of Rwanda. Butare hosts the National Museum, and several universities and research institutions. Visit the King’s palace. On arrival in the Nyungwe region, check into your accommodation and enjoy its amenities. (B,L,D)
Day 6: Nyungwe National Park
- Those who are chimp trekking will transfer to the trail head and embark on a thrilling hike in search of chimpanzee communities. The Nyungwe chimpanzee population is thought to consist of approximately 400-500 individuals. Prepare to hear these excitable primates before you see them, as their pant-hoots travel through the deep forest. During your hike you may also spot migratory birdlife including the Ross’ turaco, grey-cheeked hornbill, red-breasted sparrow hawk and regal sunbird. After lunch, all guests depart on the Canopy walk. (B,L,D)
Day 7: Volcanoes National Park
- Depart with packed lunch on a leisurely and scenic drive to Volcanoes National park. After arrival at your accommodation, you will have some free time to enjoy the amenities of your resort, or explore the town of Musanze. (B,L,D)
Day 8: Volcanoes National Park
- This morning, your guide will transfer those doing the gorilla trek to Volcanoes National Park to meet your expert primate guide and tracking team. The trek to the gorilla family may be as short as 30 minutes or as long as 3 hours. Porters are available to assist you with the trek, this is inexpensive and highly recommended. Those who have mobility challenges can hire a team of porters to carry them on a sedan chair. After an amazing, never to be forgotten hour with the gorilla family, you will descend and transfer back to your accommodation for lunch. The afternoon is free for you to explore the town or opt for a visit to the Iby’Iwacu Cultural Village at around $35 per person. (B,L,D)
Day 9: Volcanoes National Park
- After breakfast, take the scenic drive back to Kigali for departure. (B)